Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I recently holidayed in New Zealand. My daughter accidently

Customer Question

Hi I recently holidayed in New Zealand. My daughter accidently overflowed the spa bath in our unit and caused flooding. We were not malicious and it was definitely not intentional. It was purely an accident. We only had travel insurance for medical/hospital. The unit's owner/manager said that we would be liable for repair. We have no idea if we are liable or not but feel that the landlord/manager would have been insured for the incident. We feel that they are trying to double tip with this claim. Are you able to tell me what our rights are? Any advice would be much appreciated, regards Jenny
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The owners do not have to claim their insurance, but if they do so, the insurance company could require you to pay to reimburse them. The owner could also ask you to pay the excess on any policy. So I am sorry to have to advise you that you may have to pay, even though it was an accident. However the owner cannot claim against you and claim insurance, as that would be double dipping. They can only claim the excess and the insurance company would claim the rest.