Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  34 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We are absentee owners of a holiday home in BOP (We reside

We are absentee owners of a holiday home in BOP (We reside in Gisborne). In April 2013 the property suffered a landslip after a storm. EQC originally accepted the claim, but have come back to us and advised they will not cover the loss/damage because there was a Section 36 on the title. This section 36 refers specifically to waste-water i.e. The effluent drainage system; not the area where the slippage occurred. We are trying to find an Insurance Litigation Specialist - preferably in the BOP legal fraternity- who can assist us. Can you recommend
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : I would suggest try Andrew Hooker at hookerlaw.co.nz although he is Auckland.
Chris The Lawyer : Or another specialist firm Robertsons at www.robertsonslaw.co.nz, also in suckland
Chris The Lawyer : *Auckland
Customer:

This is all new stuff for us. Your suggestions may be just what we need - I guess we need a legal opinion on the Section 36 so we can decide to spend money on litigation or put it towards the reinstatement slippage area. You have no suggestions for a BOP expert?

Chris The Lawyer : I am not specifically aware of a local expert in the BOP although there are lawyers who will act on insurance claims. I thought on a complex matter an expert like the firms I suggest may be more efficient at pinning down liability
Customer:

OK - fair comment. Thanks

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 34 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.