Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Hello, I received diversion for a charge made against me

I received diversion for a charge made against me by my previous employer and I have completed the requirements. I was not arrested or had my finger prints taken. I am currently looking for employment in retail to support my studies, if the application form asks me about ever receiving diversion do I need to say yes? Will the police check they perform on me show anything about the charge or diversion?

Also I am currently studying to become a nurse. Could this diversion affect my chances of getting a job in the future? Thank you for your time.

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : The police keep a record of diversions, because people don't generally get a second opportunity for one. So a record is kept for this limited purpose.
Chris The Lawyer : I haven't ever seen a question asking if you have ever been given diversion. But if they ask, you would have to say yes.
Chris The Lawyer : The diversion is not a criminal conviction, and will not show on your police record. You are entitled to say you have no criminal record.
Chris The Lawyer : if therefore they ask, you can say quite correctly you have a clean record.