Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My 11 yr old son and I are living in Australia, we are NZ citizens.

My 11 yr old son and I are living in Australia, we are NZ citizens. My son's father lives in NZ and is a director of 4 companies and yet only pays just over $100 in child support. His assessment shows him earning only $30,000 per year although he is very well off.
Is there any thing I can do through the system to get better financial support from my childs father. He does not wish to pay any child support.

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : Unfortunately the advice you have is correct. If the father adjusts his business so he only earns a low income, then it is hard to increase the child support with going though a review process and getting evidence he is concealing income.
Chris The Lawyer : To get a review you need to apply through Inland Revenue. They have a useful site at http://www.ird.govt.nz/childsupport/custodians/admin-reviews/apply-for-ar-cp/
Chris The Lawyer : this will give you the forms and procedure you need. If you want me to explain things you don't understand on the site, please feel free to ask