Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

As a child I damaged some property in a neighbours house that

As a child I damaged some property in a neighbours house that was getting built. I did not admit to it at the time and learnt some years later that the owners of the house have had legal battles with the builders over this and along with some other issues regarding problems with the house. I would like to talk to the owners to admit my part and maybe offer to pay something towards it but am concerned they may then try to recover the damage costs from my family (since I was a child at the time) and/or their legal costs for all the time they have been pursuing the builders. Is this a possibility?

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : if this occurred more than 6 years ago you may be safe because of the limitation periods. But I would suggest that their problems are unlikely to be your fault, except to a minor extent, and you should be wary of admitting something that may drag you into issues which are definitely not your fault. I understand why it is sometimes good to get these things off your chest and admit wrongdoing. But the potential for harm to you and your family exists, because they may say that the limitation period should not apply because your part in the damage was unknown until you confessed.