Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Is Libel a criminal offence? do I make a complaint to the police

Is Libel a criminal offence? do I make a complaint to the police about a libel case?

Chris The Lawyer :

Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.

Chris The Lawyer :

Libel is covered by the Defamation Act, and is a claim brought in the civil jurisdiction of the courts. It is not a criminal offence and the police have no power over defamation.

Chris The Lawyer :

For claims up to $200,000 the District Court is the correct place and beyond that the High Court.

Chris The Lawyer :

This is a technical and difficult area of law and not something i would suggest a lay person attempt.

Chris The Lawyer :

It can depend on who made the statements and how they were published, and there can be defences which affect the result. It is worth looking at the act which can be found here

Chris The Lawyer :

Please follow up with further questions-this is just a very basic introduction of course

Customer:

great information will find council to advance my cause

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I see the law around this issue is tricky. I believe I have a case but will wait until after some other cases I have to sort. cheers

Dont forget to note the limitation period for defamation, which is 2 years