Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have been separated from my husband for 4 years. We were

I have been separated from my husband for 4 years. We were married in Vanuatu. I am struggling to get information on how to get a divorce. I have been told by one department here that I have to apply for divorce in the country which we were married in and then told by another department that as we are both NZ citizens we can just apply through the courts here. Very confusing. Complicated by that fact that if I have to get divorced in Vanuatu, I have been struggling to find out how to get the divorce papers.

Please help me uncomplicate this mess.

Thanks. Lynn

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : You can definitely apply in New Zealand if you live here. All you need is the marriage certificate, or a certified copy.
Chris The Lawyer : Then you can apply to the closest Family Court. If you are still on reasonable terms with your ex husband, then you can make a joint application which is is easier than a sole application, and faster.