Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Hi, a 30minute meeting to discuss custody of their children

Hi, a 30minute meeting to discuss custody of their children is planned for my partner's brother, his ex partner, her lawyer and the lawyer for the children. My partner's brother wants me to represent him, as does the lawyer for the children. However, his ex and her lawyer are objecting to me being present. Of course I'm not a lawyer, but does that mean he can't have me representing him? - Tks

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : That seems a bit silly, if this is just a meeting. You would not be able to represent him in court except as a support person, but for a meeting to discuss issues, that is not necessary.
Chris The Lawyer : Perhaps the lawyer objecting should think about the new Family Court procedure which will exclude lawyers for the initial stages including the mediation.
Chris The Lawyer : With that as the future model, the attitude would not be supported by many
Chris The Lawyer : So in legal terms, at an informal meeting you can represent him

Many thanks Chris

Chris The Lawyer :

Good luck!