Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I wish to dissolve a civil partnership entered into in the

I wish to dissolve a civil partnership entered into in the uk eight years ago. I understand that I cant do this in the uk courts while both parties live in nz. Who should I apply to, this should be an uncontested case.

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : the procedure for dissolving a civil union is the same as for a marriage. You have an option of a joint application, or a sole application. Once you have been separated for two years then you can apply to any family court, which is located at the district court office. There is an application and an affidavit and you need the original certificate or a certified copy. Once the application has been filed, for a joint application it takes a few weeks. In both sorts of application you do not need to go to court if this is not contested

does separate mean different address as we have been using different parts of the same house for over two years

Chris The Lawyer : That can work but you would need to spell out the separation in some detail. You would need to have separated out your lives in financial.a and social matters as well. But this has been done like this before