How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22548
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When there is a dispute between partners in a relationship,

This answer was rated:

When there is a dispute between partners in a relationship, can a settlement be reached out of court ? and where would this settlement be registered so that there is no comeback later on ?

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : Many disputes are fixed by discussion, negotiation and often mediation, when an independent neutral is used. So doing this doesn't need a court action at all. The correct way to record such a discussion is by an agreement in the form required under the Property Relationships Act, and this becomes a binding settlement. This is not registered anywhere but the agreement is kept by both parties and referred to when needed
Chris The Lawyer and 2 other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions