Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

hey there, are weatherboards on a house that are 7 years old

hey there, are weatherboards on a house that are 7 years old (both weatherboards and the house), but are warping to the point of being not "fit for purpose" covered under the consumer guarantees act, or similar legislation?

Chris The Lawyer : Hi and welcome. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.
Chris The Lawyer : They may not be, because houses are required to have expected lifespans of overall 50 years, and the component parts for up to that time. You could have a Limitation Act issue because normally you cannot claim after 6 years, but in certain circumstances there is a 10 year period for building works.
Chris The Lawyer : This is likely to be covered and I suggest you tell the builder that he must repair the warped boards and investigate if this is more serious

hey there, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need clarity here, what circumstances would lead to a 6 year vs 10 year issue. Also, is the builder required by law to fix? he apparently didn't buy a guarentee for his work?

Chris The Lawyer :

He is bound under the Consumer Guarantees Act to repair even if he didnt buy a guarantee. And he is likely to be bound by the 10 year period.

How do I find out for sure re 10 years, and do I approach him direct with this info, or via a lawyer?

Chris The Lawyer : Just ask him to fix and tell him he must because the Building Act says he must stand behind the work
Chris The Lawyer : You won't need a lawyer for the first step unless he gets difficult

he will, is there a particular type of lawyer I would use for this situation (it's looking like the whole house will need to be re-cladded)

Chris The Lawyer : There are lawyers who specialise in building contract disputes. What city are you in?

Wellington / Upper Hutt

Chris The Lawyer : This firm are specialists
Chris The Lawyer : Name:Hazelton LawPostal Address:PO Box 5639Lambton QuayWellington6145New ZealandTel:04(NNN) NNN-NNNNax:04(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
Chris The Lawyer : And this lawyer also
Chris The Lawyer : Name:Douglas Ewen BarristerPostal Address:PO Box 5744Lambton QuayWellington6145Tel:04(NNN) NNN-NNNNax:04(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

that's awesome - thanks heaps, excellent service :)