Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hallo, I have question about retirement. I was made redundant

Hallo, I have question about retirement. I was made redundant on 25/1/2013 and due to my wife earning to much do not qualify for a unemployment benefity. I asked income support if I could qualify for early retirement. I was told this scheme waqs not in excistent anymore. Now IRD has mentioned to my daaugther I had retired early. Do you know if this scheme is still operative. I have had an accident at home and due to not being employed can also not get ACC. Thank you for your time,
Yours, Jan Wemekamp.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : Can you tell me your date of birth so I can check the benefits you may qualify for, although I may not have good news
Customer:

Birthdate ios 21/02/1949 thank you.

christhelawyer : The pension is only available after 65 as are many of the benefits, which go with this.
christhelawyer : More coming..
christhelawyer : The Super Gold Card is tied to the pension so that is not yesterday for you until next year.
christhelawyer : The new scheme for unemployment has also been tightened and is now called the job seeker allowance, and sadly is as you have discovered dependent on income of your partners income
christhelawyer : So the early retirement scheme is now overtaken by this scheme. There are policies in place which mean that they do not insist you actively seek work, but you don't get any special benefit otherwise.