Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have applied for a management position in my organisation

I have applied for a management position in my organisation (an NGO). A board member, who is one of three people on the HR recruitment panel made contact with my external professional supervisor (a registered Social Worker), that I fund myself (hence there is no written agreement between my Supervisor/myself or my Employer,) to ask a question about my professional development. I did not mention the name of my supervisor on my cv nor was it discussed during the interview, but I mentioned my supervisor's name during a private conversation with the board member which was separate from the HR process. When I told the board member my supervisor's name, she replied "ohh S, my old buddy". Can the board member contact my professional supervisor without my permission?

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The circumstances under which they got the name are likely to be a breach of confidence. However even if they contact the supervisor this would not permit her to say anything anyway without your consent. So there may not be any information shared or could not be without your consent

thanks for your reply. Just to clarify the board member has stepped out of bounds by breaching confidentiality? If yes, what should I do from here?

christhelawyer : You can complain about a breach of privacy to the Privacy Commissioner, but this may mean the board fond reasons not to employ you
christhelawyer : *find