Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Permanent Visa

hi , i have been granted a resident visa after applying under skilled worker category. Start date for the visa is 2/nov/2011, my first entry was 23/oct/2012, visa expiry : indefinite. I have spent two weeks only and had to leave back to where i work (Oman)  because of some business issues. As far as i know in order to get Permanent Residency i  have to stay in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months .My question:  is there any way to get a permanent Residency Visa without staying 6 months of each year? My plan is to settle in Auckland as soon as i manage to sell my business here. It worth mentioning that on 1st of June 2012 i got married to NZ  citizen. My lawyer who assisted me during application process told me that being married to NZ citizen will help in extending my current visa for another 2 years and wont help in getting the permanent Visa.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The policy on this is pretty firm, that you have to demonstrate a commitment to staying here. Once you have permanent residency this is not so important. So there is no short cut for this I am afraid.

So the only way is to spend the period to show commitment . Do i have chance to extend for another two years ?

Buying a house or small business can be considered commitment ?

christhelawyer : The important factor is the commitment in time here. So that is essential but you can ask for an extension