Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

my name was mentioned in a court case in Dunedin, I never was

my name was mentioned in a court case in Dunedin, I never was informed of the case and not advised that my name was to be used. I was insulted by the Judge and it was plastered over the centre page of the biggest free to farmer paper in the country. The case was taken to the High court where the Judge ruled in my favour. the high court judge said that any compensation would be "Too little too late", then at the end said that there was no law tp cover compensation. This matter was then sent to the court of appeal who sat on it for 9 months and two days and then said that it was over the appeal time so I had to re-appeal. they, that is the personal of the appeal court stated that I would not need to pay again, then sent me a bill with I could not afford. the bank dishonoured the check. I have the transcript of the conversation with the Court of Appeal which I can send to you if needed. I assumed that this was going to be a political merry-go-round and am in my mid seventies and am of poor health. can someone please assist me to get some justice in tis matter?

Peter J Lester
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : To help me answer, is the current issue filing the appeal out of time? If you cannot afford the filing fees the is a system for asking for the fees to be waived. Would this help?
Customer:

I refused to pay again as they had stated that I did not need to, and then asked for money. Yes appeal was filed in time, they, that is the court, sat on it for 9 months and two days, then said it was over the appeal time.

christhelawyer :

There are steps which have to be taken to progress an appeal which are set according to a time table prescribed by the rules. Was it one of those steps you missed? have you asked about getting fees waived?

Customer:

they said that bit was their fault that it went over time, and stated that I would not have to pay again and then sent me a bill. the delay was at their end as they admitted in the conversation on the phone to my attorney Rob Moodie.

christhelawyer :

So where is the appeal now? has it been struck out or is there some step needed?

Customer:

steps are needed as I have written to the Minister of courts and he/she has sent me a form to fill in, which I have yet to do. I have not filled iot in as I am at our cottage in Papamoa and the letter is at my office in Hawkes Bay. I feel I will be fobbed off yet again anyhow.

christhelawyer :

Does that help?

Customer:

yes. will download it and see.

christhelawyer :

Great

Customer:

I have to go to a clients place right now and will be back later this afternoon so will deal with it then. Thanks

christhelawyer :

Ok just log back in and I will look out for this

Customer:

back now, but if too late we can make contact tomorrow.

christhelawyer : Ok I am available
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.