Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My wife and I are adopting my nephews (and nieces...They

My wife and I are adopting my nephew's (and niece's...They are married) 3rd child once the baby is born.
I have heard that the adoption process can only then be started.
We have had checks done,and been given the all clear from CYFs for this adoption to take place,and they are willing to assist in any way possible.
Do you have any idea as to how long this process should take>> from the application (once baby is born of course) to the court granting guardianship/custodianship??

Thanks

LARNEY

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : This normally takes 9 to 12 months. Part of this is because the court makes an interim order first, which is made final after 6 months.
christhelawyer : The first application to get the interim order will take about 2 months, if you have all the reports ready. This can differ in some branches of the family court, but expect about this. Then after this, the final order, after the 6 months, will take about 1-2 months.
Customer:

Is the excessive timeframe mainly because of court delays??

christhelawyer : No, this is pretty standard and the 6 months is specified under the Adoption Act, and cannot be changed.
christhelawyer : You can get guardianship fairly quickly, within about 2 months where there is no opposition. This is different from adoption of course
Customer:

Can we get guardianship WHILST we are waiting for the formal adoption?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me all the papers regarding the adoption process, that need to be applied for from the beginning,once the baby is born...LARN.

You can get guardianship at the same time yes. For the adoption, you need the application, affidavit from you and your partner, consents from the parents and the social workers report.