Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

What is the purpose of a judicial conference?

Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : There are two sorts. The first is really about the timetable for further action and to assess what the issue are in the case, but without making any rulings except usually about procedure, time for filing documents and so on.
christhelawyer : Sometimes it can be a judicial settlement conference which is a judge led mediation process. You would have been told if it is this sort of conference.
Customer:

In terms of the first sort, would a hearing date be set down? What is standard in terms of hearing length and time for filing documents? Thanks

christhelawyer : It is common at the conference for the hearing date to be set. The conference lasts usually no more than half an hour, and normally a memorandum with suggestions for the next steps and a timetable for any further actions is filed. It's like an action list to proceed the case. The memo should filed a day or so before and a copy sent to the other side.
Customer:

Ok Thanks

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.