Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have signed permanent part time contract more than 3 years

Customer Question

I have signed permanent part time contract more than 3 years ago to support a specific client in the community.My contract did not specify number of hours.My employer have asked me to support this specific client from 8.15 am to 3pm every tuesday,wednesday and thursday.I have been rostered by the employer, for the last 3years, to work above mentioned hours with the same client.I'm a union member and covered by the collective agreement.One of the paragraphs in the collective agreement states that Employer may change employes rostered hours when employee agrees.
My employer wants to cut my hours to 9.30 am -2.30pm now.My employer have offered unsuitable replacement hours which are not on tuesday,wednesday and thursday.My employer tried to pressure me to accept their terms.
Is my employer obligated to give me top up hours at the time/days suitable for me,what are their legal obligations?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If they want to reduce your hours, they must have a proper reason for doing so, as a redundancy. This would have to be based on the funding for this client changing, or the client changing their needs. Is that the situation? A redundancy is different from just changing around because they want to change. You do not need to consent if that is the case. They can only change the contract with your consent, or with a proper redundancy consultation.