Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hi. I am international student. I came 1 year ago to New Zealand

Customer Question

Hi. I am international student. I came 1 year ago to New Zealand from Russia to study in Pacific International Hotel Management School in New Plymouth on Post Graduate course. Before coming I was informed that to get a diploma I needed to complete 1 year course in school and 6 month working in industry. In the end of the year of education the process of employment started and I had found a job in Huka Lodge in Taupo and signed a 6-month contract started on 20th of July. Today at the last day in school we hade a assessment in restaurant service and I was told that I failed it and i need to stay at school several months to repeat the course and pay again for this period of education...

It looks like a extortion because I didnt ever sign any agreement that I should pay any amount in case of failure of any tests and also the sistem of evaluation is absolutely not clear and moreover is absolutely subjective. We all make some mistakes but than lecturer decided by himself that this student passed and that student fail...

Because I found a job I already rent a house in other town, had agreement with the hotel, have changed the school for my 17 yo daughter and I simply have no funds to stay any more in school. And also there is no guarantee that I can pass this test in the future... The system is that they can keep me in school for unlimited time! And they use this practice all the time and brake peoples plans and life...

Can you give me any advice?
Thank you in advance
Kirill
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The standards for exams are ate by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. So you have 2 things you have to do. The first is to see if the School is prepared to look at your assessment again, if you think you did pass and the teacher got this wrong.
christhelawyer : if they refuse to look at this then I suggest you ask the NZQA to look at the standards used and whether you have been assessed according to the correct standards.
Customer :

How can I contact the NZQA?

Customer :

Can you recommend me the lawyer in Taupo who is specialized in immigration and education law?

Customer :

Thank you

christhelawyer : terry Kirkham at LePine and Co may be able to help on immigration issues. His phone is 07 378. 5030.
christhelawyer : The NZQA are at http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/about-us/contact-us/