Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I would like to get information on my sons traffic violation

I would like to get information on my sons traffic violation and court date tomorrow. We would like to know what his rights are and if he should have a solicitor help him. It is for a drink drive on a restricted license. The results were delivered three weeks after the 20 April incident and then they were not filed correctly so the local constable came back a week later and presented the paperwork again. He has since his full license and wondering if he can get a permit to drive to work as he works full time. Does he plead the case himself.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear

christhelawyer :

This is a serious matter and he will lose his licence for at least 6 months if he is over 20, or at least 3 months if under that age.

christhelawyer :

He can see the duty lawyer on the day, but if there were problems with the paperwork then he should see a lawyer to talk about the case, and see if there is a defence. The police are obliged to provide full copies of all the paperwork, and this will help assess whether he has a defence. If there is no defence then he may be able to apply for a work licence, but he will need a lawyer to help with this.The duty lawyer will be able to help him find someone who can do this for him

Customer:

Do you know a lawyer I can fax the paperwork to or how we should go about finding out if he has a defense. Do you know a lawyer in Gisborne as his court date is tomorrow in Ruatoria?

Customer:

We live in Hicks Bay two and one half hours away from Gizzy.

christhelawyer : There will be a duty lawyer at court, although I am not sure what Gisborne lawyers attend Ruatoria court sessions.
christhelawyer : Try one of these and see if they will be there
christhelawyer : Thorpe, VickiWharfshed 1, 60 The Esplanade, Gisborne 4010Phone: (06)(NNN) NNN-NNNNax: (06)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
christhelawyer : Sceats, Mark34 Grant Road, Gisborne 4010Phone: (06)(NNN) NNN-NNNNax: (06)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.