Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

7 years ago my friend bought a boat for her husband for an

Customer Question

7 years ago my friend bought a boat for her husband for an anniversary present, they have just separated after 33 years of marriage, does it get counted as assets to be divided?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear

christhelawyer :

Gifts are not always relationship property, but it can depend on whether the boat was used jointly or kept strictly apart. As often as not a boat will be relationship property because of the joint use.

christhelawyer :

If you know more about the use, and describe this to me, this will enable me to be more definate however.

JACUSTOMER-g2fyql1z- :

The wife didnt like going out on the boat. Maybe 3 times in 7 years. Only husband and kids did for fishing.

christhelawyer :

If it was used for the family it is unfortunately likely to be regarded as joint. He can resist this, on the basis that she gifted it and wasnt interested in it, but in the end it is likely to be joint