Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hello My CV is with an agency (specialist medical recruitment)

Hello
My CV is with an agency (specialist medical recruitment) and they will not allow me to update it. I have an adjustment to make that will affect my chances of acquiring the best possible job. The closing date for lodging CVs was on Friday last week and now I they say they won't let me make this essential change.
I would welcome you thoughts.
Kind regards
Carmen
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear

christhelawyer :

In legal terms the agency is acting for the employer and not for you, although it does not always look like that. But this seems pretty unusual to refuse to make a change like this. Have you spoken to someone senior at the agency? Have yopu suggested that you approach the employer direct?

christhelawyer :

The problem is that you do not have a contract with the agency which you can enforce. Because they are working for the employer then they can set the rules. But if you dont get the job, then you could approach the employer and tell them what has happened, although this may upset the agency and they may refuse to list you at all.

Customer:

Thanks for the answer.

christhelawyer :

I wish I could suggest more but the agencies can be difficult sometimes.

Customer:

Hi thanks for the answer. I emailed the agency on Sunday after the close off date and they emailed back that as they have so many applicants to process they are 'too busy' to be attending to individual requests for changes or resubmitted CV's. The agency follows a process of matching 1st year doctors to available positions. The close-off for submission of CV's was Friday 28 June 5pm. The matching process has not yet started as it is still allowing for last minute references to be sent in till Thurs 4 July. I can't see anywhere where there are 'terms and conditions" for this procedure. Any further thoughts are most welcome!

christhelawyer :

The terms and conditions are between the agency and the employer-sometimes they will have documents you sign, but are unlikely to be helpful. You could ask for this, but they are unlikely to provide you with the terms as they are not part of any arrangement with you. You are just not in a very strong position unfortunately

Customer:

Thank you Chris for your appraisal,and I understand the info you've given and can see that I can only count on some goodwill on their part, which I think won't be the case. I may phone them but it's likely it'll not be a positive outcome.

Customer:

Thanks for your help and I'll put through payment and rating shortly, after lunch! Carmen

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.