Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

hi, can i get a sample letter to write about my partner of

Customer Question

hi, can i get a sample letter to write about my partner of 8yrs whos been in remand prison for over a month now to charges of domestic violence (drugs involved). i laid a temporary protection order on him and i want it lifted so we can reconcile things back. i want to include in my letter,that our 5kids miss him terribly and he is the bread winner im struggling so much on my own now. he could be facing some jail time or home detention which im praying he gets. will it affect him if i kept the protection order but with my consent to be in contact him and kids? i want a short and simple and genuine letter - i was the victim in the matter and i want to patch things up for the kids sake and seek counselling together aswel. he has come to realization and admit to everything hes done and just wants to get help and be with me and kids and move forward. could you please help me asap as i need a letter by tomorrow! and who can i give letter to? can i give a copy to his lawyer(defense lawyer) or court adviser. he is to appear in the high court for a pre - sentence. hope you write out one. thank you,god bless. jess
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : Does your partner have a lawyer acting for him? Has he asked you to get this letter?
christhelawyer : The pre sentence stage would be I assume because he has not yet pleaded guilty, is that the position?
christhelawyer : if he has been in remand for a month I assume the charges are more serious than just the assault.
christhelawyer : When he has pleaded guilty and been remanded for sentence, then that is the time for your help on sentence. The probation officer will want to talk to you and also victim support. You can certainly share what is needed with them.
christhelawyer : Any submission or letters would go to his lawyer, who can pass this on to the judge.
Customer :

hi, he has a lawyer and he has asked me to do this letter in support for him. he has pleaded guilty to all charges that includes other charges like disqualified driver, burglary and this is his first assault charges.

christhelawyer : The letter should talk about him as a person, and say if he is supportive to you, and whether he is a good father. You may want to say how the children feel about their father not being there too. You should say why you think he went off the rails, and if you think he is coping with drugs and alcohol
christhelawyer : Talk about other family sport he has, and if he is working how he is doing there.
christhelawyer : That should be family support
Customer :

im not a person of great words or know the first thing to put down on paper. please do me a sample and i can maybe add things i know of his character.

christhelawyer : To the judge
christhelawyer : My partner and I have been together for 8 years and we have 5 children who we look after. My partner is not a bad person, but has been having some problems lately. His children and I miss him and we are struggling without him at home. Here say something about him as a person and his work and family support.
christhelawyer : He has now been in jail on remand for over a month, and I think he is learning a lesson. I have forgiven him for the assault and we are going to have more counselling about violence. I hope you will let him out so we can look after our family and I think he will act better in the future.
christhelawyer : just add what ever else you want
Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX one out and see how you wou

Customer :

ld

Customer :

sorry, didnt finish what i was gonna say - i will write one out and see how you think about it for me please.

christhelawyer : Ok
christhelawyer : I will check in when you have finished
Customer :

To the judge

Customer :

My Partner (xxxx) and I have been together foe 8 years and we have 5 children who we look after. My partner (xxxx) is not a bad person,but has been having problems lately. His children and I miss him and we are struggling without him at home.

Customer :

During the 8yrs in our relationship,(xxxx) has been proven to be a loyal,loving,caring and dedicated father aswel a genuine character as being a supportive partner around families & friends and to his work.

Customer :

He has now been in jail on remand for over a month, and i think he is learning a lesson. I have forgiven him for the assault and we are going to have more counselling about Anger management and relationship. I hope you will let him out so we can raise our family and i know with all that has happened he will come out a better person.

Customer :

sincerely,

Customer :

please check and correct it if you want.

Customer :

some of it dont make sense - please correct any grammar!

christhelawyer : A real letter always is better than one written by someone else. So that will be useful for I'm I think
christhelawyer : *him I think
Customer :

i guess so.

christhelawyer : Does this help? Working with probation and victim support will also help
Customer :

how can they help

christhelawyer : They will ask you about mi and your relationship, and if you want him back, and the support you will give him
Customer :

i could do that - i could ask to put a memo for me to the judge yes?

christhelawyer : Yes, although the letter is good. You could also ask to address the judge at sentencing if you want