Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  34 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am a mature age student at the University of Waikato I am

I am a mature age student at the University of Waikato
I am reading for my PhD in sociology/ social policy.
Funding for mature graduate students has changed which means due to my age I will not be eligible for student allowances nor for my fees for my last year of study.
Unfortunately for me my PhD submission date is 31st march 2015.

Basically this means I will be able to complete my fourth year and hence my decision to consider withdrawing as i will not be able to complete.

My question is can I claim a refund for the costs of my course that due to policy change I am disadvantaged.
I have put in nearly ten years of study plus tens of thousands fees and costs as well as the loss of my potential income from my previous occupation (carpenter).
It out of my control therefore I am out of pocket and unable to graduate because of this law change.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : I wish I could give you a solution, but I have already looked into this for a student in a similar position. The rule changes are manifestly unfair, and you are certainly not the only post graduate student caught by this change. I suggest that the other student complain to the Ombudsman, and I suggest you also do the same, and perhaps as more complain this may help with a recommendation.
christhelawyer : Suing may be an option because you could say you have paid out substantial funds to get this far, but the changes now mean that money is wasted. So a claim in court for the fees may at least make a point that you would not have spent the money so far if you had known the rules would change.
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 34 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.