How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My two daughters and I have had a family dispute. Unfortunately,

This answer was rated:

My two daughters and I have had a family dispute. Unfortunately, I haven't seen my grandchildren aged 2, 3, 1.5 and 13 for 2 years, and any contact I have initiated has been ignored. The dispute has just been over everyday things and incorporates total stubborness. I pose no threat whatsoever to my grandies, but my girls appear to be using the kids to punish me. Do I have any rights at all as a Nana? Thank you

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : There are 2 ways to sort this out. The first would be to set up mediation with the daughters, where you could meet, with a family mediator, and try to resolve the issues, both over the arguments, and the contact with the grandchildren. This could take place in a safe and confidential place where you can all talk freely but try to reach a positive result.
christhelawyer : This would be fairly easy to organise, and you would not need lawyers and costs, except for the mediator, who often charge fairly modest fees.
christhelawyer : As a grandparent you can apply through the Family Court for permission to apply for contact. This is not as easy as parents, but can be done. The disadvantage is that going to court may really divide the family further, and make further contact very difficult, with no guarantee of success.
christhelawyer : This would also involve paying for a lawyer which could make this an expensive exercise.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you very much. I didn't know about family Mediators, but I will certainly look into it. Many Thanks.

You can find family mediators here[Any]

Related New Zealand Law Questions