Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Hi, my husband has a 9 year old daughter who has moved four

Hi, my husband has a 9 year old daughter who has moved four years ago with her mother to a different town, it is a two hour trip from my place to her mothers place.
My husband and ex partner have a court order where he has access to his child every second weekend and half school holidays.
However we have continuous issues with her mother wanting the child to attend activities during our time, sometimes it is allowed, some we say no. She now wants to change the time of the pick up to later at night , but as we have limited time and the child young siblings (3) living with us we do not want the time changed.
She has used a lawyer to see if she can change the time and we have replied saying we will comprise and meet in the middle. 5pm not 6pm as she wants. If she agrees that is sorted but we want to know can we apply and would we get full custody, where the roles would change? My husband has always had great contact with his child and is now in the position where he can care for her full time. We feel that the mother has been lucky enough to have the child living with her for 9 years and now we think her dad should be able to do this.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : He certainly could apply, and perhaps at age 9 it may be time for a change. But the child would need to want to come, and you would have to show this is in her best interests.
christhelawyer : The changes to the current contact seem reasonable to me. If the mother chose to move so far away, she has to accept the disruption and cost is higher for you and be more accommodating
christhelawyer : There will be mediation to try to sort these issues, and perhaps there you could raise the issue of change in the principle parenting role