How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22560
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my husband has a 9 year old daughter who has moved four

This answer was rated:

Hi, my husband has a 9 year old daughter who has moved four years ago with her mother to a different town, it is a two hour trip from my place to her mothers place.
My husband and ex partner have a court order where he has access to his child every second weekend and half school holidays.
However we have continuous issues with her mother wanting the child to attend activities during our time, sometimes it is allowed, some we say no. She now wants to change the time of the pick up to later at night , but as we have limited time and the child young siblings (3) living with us we do not want the time changed.
She has used a lawyer to see if she can change the time and we have replied saying we will comprise and meet in the middle. 5pm not 6pm as she wants. If she agrees that is sorted but we want to know can we apply and would we get full custody, where the roles would change? My husband has always had great contact with his child and is now in the position where he can care for her full time. We feel that the mother has been lucky enough to have the child living with her for 9 years and now we think her dad should be able to do this.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : He certainly could apply, and perhaps at age 9 it may be time for a change. But the child would need to want to come, and you would have to show this is in her best interests.
christhelawyer : The changes to the current contact seem reasonable to me. If the mother chose to move so far away, she has to accept the disruption and cost is higher for you and be more accommodating
christhelawyer : There will be mediation to try to sort these issues, and perhaps there you could raise the issue of change in the principle parenting role
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions