Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Where does an employee stand when the employer without any

Customer Question

Where does an employee stand when the employer without any prior discussion or agreement has a GPS system installed in a company vehicle to monitor your every movement both within and outside work hours and print out reports accordingly ?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : These units are permissible under employment law. However if you are permitted to use the vehicle for private use, then they cannot use the information gathered about the private use as this is a breach of privacy. The exception may be of course if there is something about reasonable use, and they could use the information to check this, but for no other purpose.
JACUSTOMER-7ipne043- :

Thank you Chris, So if I stop for a pee at a public toilet somewhere on the highway, they have access to this information ? how can this be ?

christhelawyer : Because it is their vehicle, and you are employed by them. They could not use this to gain personal information, but only about work related matters. I agree the line can be difficult to draw however.