Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Do neighbours have a legal right to have hedges using pest

Customer Question

Do neighbours have a legal right to have hedges using pest plants (English ivy) on a boundary ? The hedge in question is about 5 metres high at one end. This means I am being forced to maintain it to protect my own garden. (It is highly invasive)
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If the ivy and the hedge are getting out of control you can compel them to trim and remove the hedge, so that the problem is resolved. You can make an application under the Property Law Act to force them to trim or remove the hedge. I suggest you point out that section 333 of the Property Law Act gives you the power to force removal, and to save the bother, they should cooperate on joint trimming and reduction in size.