Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I am leaving employment at the end of this week and my managers

I am leaving employment at the end of this week and my managers have taken over my work email address which is @.co.nz and are sending new messages and answering existing messages, without the recipients knowing that it isn't me. Is this legal, if not, what can I do about it?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : Your work email does belong to your employer, and they can take control and use this. This has been decided in employment cases where it is settled that, as an example, they can read your inbox and sent emails, as it is a work email system.
christhelawyer : However they should not pretend to be you, as you have no control over what has been sent in your names, and you should tell them to change the signature in your mail box settings, or perhaps if you have access you could change this yourself.
Customer:

Hello yes I am aware that they have a right to have access to it. They have changed my signature slightly so instead of saying my name, it says my position instead. However what I'm worried about is that a lot of people I deal with would have no idea that it's not me- they would think I've just changed my signature again (we've done 2 or 3 signature changes company-wide in the last few months)

Customer:

Would I be within my rights to send out an email to all my contacts, saying that I'm leaving and that if they get an email from my work address, it is not going to be from me, so I disclaim all responsibility for any mail from or to that address?

Customer:

I would obviously do that from my home address not my work one...

christhelawyer : You can, but I would discuss this first, just to explain why you are doing this
Customer:

So discuss it with my management so they understand why I am sending the message out, you mean?

christhelawyer : Yes
christhelawyer : I say this so you are both on the same understanding as to why this is needed
Customer:

OK thanks

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.