Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Hi Chris, What is the correct way to get somebody to make a

Hi Chris, What is the correct way to get somebody to make a sworn statement/affidavit and where can I get the relevant template?

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : An affidavit must be signed before a solicitor or JP or court registrar, who then administer an oath, and then witness the signature. There is no prescribed form except for court purposes, but the document would start, I, (name, occupation, addresses) swear... Followed by numbered paragraphs as to the content and facts, then signed off at the end like this, Sworn at (location) this (date) before me, (recite status as solicitor etc)
christhelawyer : Here is an example form the High Court Rules
christhelawyer : Form G 16Affidavit of servicer 6.10I, [full name, place of residence, occupation], swear—1On [day, date], I served the [party as described in the heading], [full name], with the following documents:[List each document served, eg, statement of claim and notice of proceeding. If, under rule 6.10, a copy of a served document is not attached to the affidavit, the description of the document—(a)must be sufficient to enable the document to be identified; and(b)must include the date of the document (if the document bears a date)].2I served the documents on the [party as described in the heading] at [place] in New Zealand by [specify how documents were delivered, eg, personally].3I believe it was the [defendant or other party as described in the heading] that I served because—Select the statement(s) that apply.Statement Athe defendant/[party]* acknowledged that he/she* is the defendant.*Select one.Statement BI know the defendant/[party]*.*Select one.Statement C[Specify any other reason.]4Omit this paragraph if it does not apply.True copies of the documents served are attached to this affidavit and marked “A” and “B”.Signature of deponent:Sworn at: [place, date]Before me: [name, signature](a solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand/Registrar/Deputy Registrar*)*Select one.
christhelawyer :

Many thanks for that Chris