Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I am wanting to know if I qualify for my New Zealand citizenship. -

I am wanting to know if I qualify for my New Zealand citizenship.

- I am 21 years old
- I have a British passport
- My parents work, live and are citizens of New Zealand.
- I have lived in New Zealand for the last 10 years
- I have gone through Intermediate and College in New Zealand
- I have a drink driving charge from 4 years ago
- I spent all of 2012 on a working Visa visiting Australia
- So far I have spent all of 2013 visiting my boyfriend in Australia

I would like to know if I am eligible to apply for my New Zealand passport and would also like to know what the process would be and how long it would take.

Liv [email protected]

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : You will have some problems I believe because the requirements are-
christhelawyer : You may be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship if you:intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand;are able to understand and speak English;are of good character;understand the responsibilities and privileges of New Zealand citizenship;have New Zealand residence; andwere physically present in New Zealand, and have had your New Zealand residence for the last five years before applying for citizenship.
christhelawyer : Those last terms in particular make it difficult

So because I have been travelling I will have to start the 5 years from when I get home?

christhelawyer : You will need to be in New Zealand when you apply, and wait 2 more years to get the 5 years

So every time I take an overseas holiday, this time period will reset? Or is it because of the 1 year on a working Visa?

christhelawyer : It's because you have to be in New Zealand when you apply, and yes the 5 years are calculated by the time here in New Zealand.

I will be returning to NZ at the end of June. As I have been on a working holiday and not living in Australia

wouldnt I be able to apply straight away?

As I have technically been living in New Zealand the whole time I have been away?

christhelawyer : You can apply but you have still got the 5 year issue to deal with, and with the 2 years in Australia you will still have to wait. the rules are applied fairly strictly

Is there any way for me to shorten this 2 year period once I return to NZ?

christhelawyer : No I am afraid not