Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I was sentenced to 5 years in prison in 2004, can I now travel

I was sentenced to 5 years in prison in 2004, can I now travel international now, ie Australia, Cook Islands.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : That may be difficult for Australia, where you would need to apply for a visa and the result would depend on the discretion of the Australian Immigration. They have a requirement of good character, which may be difficult with a serious jail sentence like this. The Cook Islands are less strict and you should be able to get a visa for a tourist visit. Each country has its own rules and you may need to check for other countries.
Customer:

Do I have to declear my conviction when entering other countries as it has been 9 years when I was sentenced.

Customer:

Do I have to declear my conviction when entering other countries, as it has been 9 years since I was sentenced.

christhelawyer : You will need to look at the visa applications for each country, but most expect all convictions to be disclosed, notwithstanding the age of the conviction