Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My husband died recently. We had been married nearly 40

My husband died recently. We had been married nearly 40 years but had no children of our own. He acknowledge his two children from a former marrage in his will and the balance of his estate was left to me. When I die will his children have any claim on my estate? I do intend to leave them a certain amount, but one more than the other as I have no contact with one of them.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If your husband made provision for them in his will, then you do not need to do anything further for them in your will, unless you want to. You are not their parent, and there is therefore no duty to do so. The Family Protection Act only gives the children the power to claim. As they are not your children they cannot claim against your estate.