Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Counselling Consent

Counselling Consent

Hello, I previously asked regarding needing consent from my child's other parent to take her to counselling. I wanted to clarify this issue further. When I previously took my child to some counselling it was some months ago and during a time when we were in the family court. I have heard that consent is only needed if the parents are currently in the family court. Is this accurate? or is consent always needed?

Thank You

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : It is an issue from the joint guardianship, and as we discussed before, it is on the edge of whether consent should have been obtained. It does not matter whether you have a current issue in the Family Court however. If you think of it like medical treatment, then this is how the issue of consent is treated. Minor things like a flu injection would not need consent. A major operation, such as for an appendix removal, would need consent. Using this analogy, in depth psychiatric treatment would need consent. But a chat to a school counsellor would not. A course of counselling sits in between these.