Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Its seems my employers have verbally offered my position in

Customer Question

Its seems my employers have verbally offered my position in the Education (private early childhood) industry without notify me or giving me the relevant one month notice as stated in my contract. I had let them know that I was thinking of returning to study and if I was successful would welcome the opportunity to discuss my role as Head Teacher. As of Monday 6th May , I still had not been offered a place at university. During yesterday's school staff meeting (8th May) it was verbally brought up the this other person was to attend a Head Teacher meeting this Friday (10th May). Are they verbally allowed to offer my position ( with all those concluding that) without giving me personal notification?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : They cannot employ someone in your place until you have formally resigned. There is nothing to stop them taking steps to find someone to replace you conditional on your resignation however. It may be insensitive, but they may regard this as good management to ensure the transition goes without a gap.