Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I have accessed patients files without their consent and when

I have accessed patients files without their consent and when I did not have authority to do so in my duties at work. I accept that this is a breach of privacy. Can the district health board, who holds this data, name me as an individual, as the one who breached this privacy even though none of the information was passed on

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If the information was only read by you without being passed on or discussed, then I see no need for you name to be passed on the person whose file you looked at.
christhelawyer : After all, while you have breached privacy, you have not permitted your own privacy to be breached in response, which would not be the correct way to deal with this.

It was a lawyer that stated that she wanted to name me. Can I tell her that I do not give permission for this or do I need to do this in writing. I have concerns that if my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be connections made to my other family members. How can I stop them naming me

christhelawyer : You need to tell her that you expressly forbid your details being made open, beyond the disciplinary hearing, and that it may impact other family members.
christhelawyer : Do this in writing and give a copy to the employer

many thanks