Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hi, I first arrived in NZ in 2003 and this will be my 11th

Hi, I first arrived in NZ in 2003 and this will be my 11th year in NZ. First 5 year Uni in canterbury - student visa Worked for 16 months - open work permit Went back to uni for a year - student visa Then begun working again. - resident visa.

I only got my residency visa in 09-03-2011. Would like to know if i could consider by past 10 years as a exceptional circumstances that would warrant a reduction to the time spend before applying for my citizenship. Thanks in advance.. K

Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear

christhelawyer :

The special reasons are rarely used, and just being here for a long time is not enough.

christhelawyer :

Internal Affairs say from their website-

christhelawyer :

How can I get my application processed urgently as I have special circumstances?

In fairness to other applicants the Citizenship Office is reluctant to process applications out of the order in which they are received. The Citizenship Office does not have an official urgent service. However, the Citizenship Office does urgently process applications on humanitarian grounds or in cases where citizenship urgency is required in order to represent New Zealand (e.g. serving in the armed forces, sports representative etc.). Applicants in these situations must provide evidence to support the need for urgency and additionally New Zealand citizenship must be the only option available in their situation.

The Citizenship Office does not generally consider that the need for a New Zealand passport to travel a sufficient reason for an application to be processed urgently and we suggest that you make arrangements to travel on your current passport.

If you would like to explore this matter further please put your request in writing, along with original evidence, to the Citizenship General Manager, PO Box 10680, Wellington 6143.

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.