How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer , Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 21941
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My brothers phot was used in a New Zealand newspaper

Resolved Question:

My brother's phot was used in a New Zealand newspaper under a Sex attack case in Materton. The Wairarapa Times Age had used a personal photo of his as the accused sex offender James Fruean. This was a case from December 2012 where the accused was granted name surpression on the 3rd of May this paper released the accused name as James Fruean and published my brothers photo as the accused. He lives with me in Melbourne Australia and has no connection to this case. We are of Samoan decent and this has been published throughtout the islands. What are we able to do? The paper has taken the photo off the article online but the damage has already been done as papers have printed in NZ and Samoa. Also the image is still available on Google linked to the article. Thanks Shahn
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear


christhelawyer : You may want to discuss this in detail with an experienced defamation lawyer. But certainly if you want to claim damages you would have a case because they appear to have been pretty careless. The real damage, as you realise, is getting this off internet searching, and the paper should do this for you at their expense.
christhelawyer : They need to contact Google as well

Yeah, my brother has been extremely damaged as people have mailing him via social networking accusing him of rape etc and today he has been notified by our family in Samoa that the Wairarapa Times contacted Samoa media trying to fix the mistake but instead Samoa has published that James Fruean is not the rapist but Joseph Fruean(my brother) is the accused

christhelawyer : This obviously adds to the damage, and I suggest you need to instruct a lawyer to get the paper to repair the damage and pay your costs.

Do you have any reccomendations of who we can contact? It is even worse that we are in Australia and having to deal to this


He is embarrassed to even go back to New Zealand or Samoa because of this

christhelawyer : I think a senior lawyer like Peter McKnight in Wellington could help. He does a lot of this work, and will quickly tell you what needs to be done. Email [email protected]
christhelawyer : Tel Fax :04(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

So far he has expressed that he is feeling depressed over this and has no idea where to turn from here. The Editor contacted him saying he will print him a formal apology but I suggested to him not to accept anything yet as they might see it as him accepting that that will be good enough


Are there any laws that outline the use of pictures in publications such as this? i.e the source and legitimacy of photo's and personell?

christhelawyer : I agree. He can do much better, and he should ring Peter McKnight. They must check they have the correct photo, and I think the editor will be very concerned about his mistake. Your brother will have a strong case

Should we be collecting the articles from Samoa etc? Our family is sending us copies today

christhelawyer : That would help, and the Samoan papers may also be in the wrong too and be able to be sued.

The source of their printing has come from the Wairarapa Times so its been a snow ball affect so far. Do you think we will be looking at having to come over to New Zealand to deal with this ultimately?

christhelawyer : possibly, but I think they will make you an offer to settle before then.

OK I will email Peter Mcknight now and also follow up with a call later this afternoon. You have been such a great help, thank you so much.

christhelawyer : It's not good, but he should get this sorted with help from Peter

Is it true that we only have 5working days after publication to address this before it becomes void?

christhelawyer : No, there are time limits but not this short

OK great thanks so much Chris I will get on to contacting Peter


Thank y ou again for your help

christhelawyer : I hope this gets sorted for you
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 21941
Experience: 37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Chris The Lawyer

    Chris The Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
< Last | Next >
  • Chris The Lawyer's Avatar

    Chris The Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png LawNZ's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Trusted advisor to businesses and individuals on company, consumer, employment, IP, and trusts issues, among others.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Related New Zealand Law Questions