Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  34 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hi Chris, looking for some advise please.We have recently

Customer Question

Hi Chris, looking for some advise please. We have recently asked a jeweler to re-make a ring for which they have taken the original ring and a $3000 deposit. We were ment to be shown the ring half way through the job to ensure we were happy with the way it was progressing. Unfortunately this was not the case as it has now been finished but not to the design or standard we would have expected. Can you advise the best course of action as we have lost total faith and want our money back and preferably the diamonds out of the original ring as well.

Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : In a claim like this the Consumer Guarantees Act applies. So if the jeweller has not delivered what was promised, then you can ask for the money and diamonds back. The acts says you can get your money back where the work has been not what you wanted and well below standard
Customer :

What would be the best course of action if they refuse to refund and return the diamonds, bearing in mind that we would have also lost the gold

christhelawyer : It may depend on whether this is within the Disputes Tribunal which goes to a maximum of $ 15,000. If it is you can make a claim there, and will not need a lawyer.
christhelawyer : You claim will include all your losses
christhelawyer : he losses could include the gold as well.