Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My husband and I have been seperated for one year . We were

Customer Question

My husband and I have been seperated for one year . We were legally married in Fiji. He is a Fiji Citizen and is currently in New Zealand on work permit. And I am New Zealand Permanent resident. He has served me divorce papers from Fiji. I assume in Fiji you only need to be seperated one year to file divorce papers. I would like to wait another year and file divorce papers through New Zealand Court system. Please advise what I should do? Do I reply to Fiji Magistrate that I will be filing divorce papers in New Zealand?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : I suspect that the one year period in Fiji will mean he can divorce you before you apply in New Zealand. You could write to the Fiji magistrate but this will not be a defence to his application once the year has passed. You would need a defence to the application to stop this.
christhelawyer : The Fiji divorce will still be valid in New Zealand.