Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

If my wife is having an affair does that impact on the matrimonial

Customer Question

If my wife is having an affair does that impact on the matrimonial settlement payout that I would have to make if I want to divorce her and if so what sort of proof do I need if any?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : In New Zealand there is generally a no fault system for division of relationship property, which means that there is an equal division
christhelawyer : There is seldom any departure from equal sharing even when one party has behaved badly. The only exception is where a party has caused the property to lose value by gambling or rash investments.
christhelawyer : So you do not need to get proof of the affair, as it will not affect the division.