Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Hi, Myself and my ex-partner are having a baby - baby will

Customer Question

Myself and my ex-partner are having a baby - baby will be born in june. I have made contact with her numerous times to talk about sharing baby from birth - She has not replied to any of my Messages and because it is getting closer to the time im afraid that I may miss out - birth cert/ baby etc... What can I do to try and secure 50/50 custody from BIRTH. I have a lot of Family support and am willing to do whatever it takes for my baby.

Any advice will be appreciated
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : You cannot take any steps before the child is born, but if she refuses to let you have contact and put you on the birth certificate, then you can apply to the Family Court for guardianship and for contact to be established.
christhelawyer : It would be unfortunate if she refused any role for you, but you can take those steps in court to protect your role as the father.
christhelawyer : So if you think that she will continue to be difficult, you can instruct a family lawyer to be ready to file when the child is born.