Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Parenting consent for counselling:

In a separated co-parenting situation does one parent need the consent from the other parent to take their child to see a counselor? I took my child to see a counselor so they had a neutral person to speak with about any feelings or difficulties they had around living in two households. I let my ex husband know all this after the first session. My ex husband told me I should have sought his consent first. Is this correct in a legal sense? Thank You

Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear

christhelawyer :

Generally major health issues should be discussed and agreed. This is part of the guardianship rights, which mean that the guardians need to agree on the important decisions. Something loke giving painkillers for a head ache is not major, but a decision with say bad dose of flu may trigger the need to consult if the child is in your care.

christhelawyer :

Counselling is probably in the category of consultation, but given the background you have previously described I think it is a good move, and really it would be silly of him to complain.

christhelawyer :

Perhaps you should have asked, but in reality it seems the correct thing anyway.

Customer:

Yes, I understand that medical and health issues require consultation but I hadn't thought general counselling sessions would apply.

christhelawyer :

It is on the margin of whether you should or should not consult in my view. But as I say before who can really criticise this decision anyway?

Customer:

Yes I can see where at times consultation would make sense but other times it wouldn't make sense. For example if there was an issue between my child and i and we wanted to get counselling to work through that issue. It doesn't make sense that I would need consent from my ex. I guess it depends allot on what the focus of the counselling was.

christhelawyer :

If it was an issue involving both parents, like this, then perhaps you should have but he may be just trying to score points rather than have a real concern

Customer:

If we had a more amicable co parenting relationship then I would have automatically spoke with him about it first. But so often i am met with negativity and resistance and I figured it was just general counselling so not of such importance. In future I will consult him first.

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.