Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Can an employer transition an employee from one division that

Can an employer transition an employee from one division that is being closed down into its other division without redundancy being paid?

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The first point is that you do not have an automatic right to redundancy pay unless your contract says so. If your contract does provide for a payment then you need to look at the actions of the employer and the consultation with you.
christhelawyer : There is an obligation on restructuring to consult with you and discuss the alternatives. If the only alternative is the other division, then provided this is more or less the same job then your choice is accept this or be laid off. If the job is more or less the same, but you reject this, you will not get redundancy
Customer: Thanks for the prompt reply and useful info.
christhelawyer : Can I help further?