Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am on the DPB benefit and my father has left me an inheritance

I am on the DPB benefit and my father has left me an inheritance of $60k which I have put into bonus bonds for my mortgage. It is on a fixed rate until August where I intend to put down at least $50.k. My problem being, would Winz expect me to live on this and take my benefit off me? I want to tell them the truth but everyones saying put your money in someone elses name. Would really appreciate your feed back.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : You do have an obligation to tell WINZ about the money as part of your continuing obligation. If you put this is someone else's name and you were caught, your benefit would be cancelled and you may have to pay this back.
christhelawyer : that may not be the answer you wanted but in the end you need to balance your conscience and the risk of being caught.
Customer:

I understand that. I want to be honest, I know this is a privelage and not a right. I just need to know if they will stop my benefit???

christhelawyer : I am checking this. Their website is not entirely clear, and I am also checking the legislation.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate this. I do have a conscience and will be telling them the truth. I just want to go in there knowing what my rights are.

christhelawyer : I think the obligation is to declare the legacy, but how it affects the benefit is not so clear.
christhelawyer : I am still looking
christhelawyer : the bonds of course do not earn income, which you would otherwise have to declare, so this is clear.
christhelawyer : The legacy is not income of course
christhelawyer : I am sorry it has taken a while, but I actually rang them and was directed to the manual, which says this benefit is income tested but not asset tested. So this should not affect you benefit.
christhelawyer : So that is better news.
christhelawyer : I looked though the manual which confirms this, and I can send you a link for yourself if you want
Customer:

yes please Chris, would appreciate that. Just thought I'd let you know that your computer is telling me I asked this question yesterday??? cheers

christhelawyer : While I am in New Zealand the service is US based so has yesterday's time. http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/manuals-and-procedures/income_support/main_benefits/domestic_purposes_benefit_-_sole_parents/content.htm
Customer:

Thanks for that Chris, my main concern was dad's money - I know he would turn in his grave if I had to forfeit this. At least I know now where I stand. Thank you and have a great day, well whats left of it anyway

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
I will ensure this happens, but let me know if there are any problems
I think this is ok now