Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My boyfriend is thinking of applying to do law in new zealand.

My boyfriend is thinking of applying to do law in new zealand. he has obtained his masters and bachelor at a korean university. He is african. Do you think it would be advisable to try and see if he could get sponsered by a firm in nz, and he may be able to study as well.
He is starting his phd when uni resumes in march but I guess that will be irrelevant as he would like to come out as soon as the opportunity presents itself. If you could advise which way is better for him to go about things that would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Leila

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The law degree here requires entry level good grades but I think if he has the qualifications you describe he will have no trouble getting into law school. The issue will be the fees. Law firms here do not commonly sponsor students, although there are some scholarships around. But an overseas student has very high fees here, and it would also be necessary to arrange accomodation and secure living expenses. I am not trying to put you off, but most foreign students have family money, and are supported by family. You can check with the university about scholarships, but there are not many around.
Customer:

yes, he does not have family money behind him is working a lot over there to support his schooling.

Customer:

no use to keep on studying it in korea if we wish to be this side of the world though, as he would not be able to practice here

Customer:

have you heard of anywhere else that has reasonable fees ?

Customer:

but comes under being able to practice in more english speaking countries /

christhelawyer : If he is admitted to a foreign bar, he could apply for admission. the Council for Legal Education from the New Zealand Law Society set a course of study for him to complete to be admitted to the New Zealand bar. It can depend on where his law degree is from, as to how much work he has to do. A degree form a civil law country like Korea will not have much in common, and he would also need to demonstrate English skills.
Customer:

yes ok, thanks thats pretty well what I had thought. When you say Korea is civil, what are we /

christhelawyer : New Zealand is a common law country, derived form the United Kingdom system. Australia and Canada are similar.
Customer:

lol, I thought thats what it meant but I wasnt sure.

Customer:

Ok, thankyou, just have to keep fingers crossed as I dont want to live in Korea :/

christhelawyer : It can be done, and some do, so again don't let me put you off. It's just a bit costly
Customer:

Have a good night.

Customer:

yes just have to hope he could pick up some work, do some lawyer prcticesd have things to do for a student ?

Customer:

as in part time work ect /

christhelawyer : You can advertise in the lawyers papers, here http://www.lawsociety.org.nz/home. Sometimes there are research jobs etc.But don't knock the Korean food, kimchi is pretty good
Customer:

haha, I may find out in may........

Customer:

thanks Chris

christhelawyer : I hope it works out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris,

I was talking to him last night and he actually did common law in cameroon africa and an LLM international law in south korea.

I said the go might be to send copies to waikato uni as well as to the council for legal education.

Just wondering your thoughts on that ?

Leila

It is the Council for Legal Education who will need to assess his previous degrees for admission to the New Zealand Bar. With some background in common law they will be able to prescribe a course to enable him to adapt and get admitted here. As I mention above getting into university may not be too difficult
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

Leila

Good luck-Waikato is a good law school