Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Hi my x partner wants to add her partner as an additional guardian

Hi my x partner wants to add her partner as an additional guardian of my daughter aged 3 , she explained to me that she is worried that if she dies I won't let my daughter be a part of her his and her brothers life . (i have told her I'd never do that)
I'm worried that this is another attempt to push me out of the picture even more , I have my daughter whenever I can but there is little communication from her side about what's happening in my daughters life and she already denies me access at times.
If I agree to this I feel they will use it to make decisions in the future that I don't agree on , is that possible ? , Is there anything that I should be aware of before I go any further ?

Awaiting your response
David Fergusson
Hi
Do you mean that she wishes to name her partner as testamentary guardian with her Will?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi sorry I live in new Zealand and didn't realise this was a uk site , I thought a testamentary guardian would be a better idea but her lawyer has sent me paperwork for an additional guardian that has the same power over decisions regarding my daughter as the mum and I do .
Hi
Then I shall opt out and transfer you to the New Zealand Law section
Claire
Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a New Zealand lawyer here in Wellington (I thought I should reassure you). In my view there is no need and some risk in having her partner as an additional guardian, and I think easily capable of abuse by getting a situation where a majority decision is made on things which are important, and excluding you. There is no real need at all for her partner to become the guardian, and the potential for excluding you further is very real. This would be an unusual step, and I do not thing she could achieve this even by going to court. I think there may be another agenda and you should refuse.
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.