Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am an American Citizen. I married a New Zealander in New

I am an American Citizen. I married a New Zealander in New Zealand January 18, 2011. I am now in the United States, wishing to reside in New Zealand, but would like to carry dual citizenship if possible. What steps do we need to take? I have no felonies, convictions, debt, etc. My husband owns a home and business in New Zealand.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

christhelawyer :

Hi I have read your question and the following answer will guide you through the problem. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear.

christhelawyer :

You can hold a dual citizenship, but you would first need to get residence based on family grounds, which would not be too difficult. You husband would sponser you and the application would be based on the length of the relationship, and your clean record and health.

christhelawyer :

Once you have residence you can move to applying for citizenship after you have lived here for 3 years.

Customer :

what does residence based on family grounds mean? oh, how do we get a visa to be able to stay that long?

Customer :

hello? Are we still chatting?

christhelawyer :

Yes we are still cahtting

christhelawyer :

A residence visa is a standard form a visa, and you would get one for sufficient time to get the citizenship. Family grounds just means that you are married to a NZ citizen who lives in New Zealand, and want to move here with him. I assume that is the case-I guess he could be in the US at present?

Customer :

No he is not in the us at the rpesent but will be flying over to the US, on March 7 and we will fly back to NZ on April 3 to reside there

Customer :

where do we apply for a residence visa?

christhelawyer :

In that case you should contact the NZ Embassy in Washington DC to start the application process. You may also need to go there for an interview. You could also get a standard visitors visa and apply in New Zealand.

Customer :

The US is exempt from needing a visitors visa... or do you need one if you are staying for a long length of time?

Customer :

do you know where you would apply in NZ... my husband lives in Hastings, in the North Island

christhelawyer :

The normal period is 3 months, so you have a choice about starting with the residence application in the US, or applying here, and waiting for the residence to be processed, with the risk that it may not be completed in the 3 months, which may mean you would have to leave and re enter. If you apply in New Zealand you could apply at a regional office-list to follow

christhelawyer :

New Zealand Branches Auckland B, Christchurch Dunedin Hamilton Palmerston North Wellington

Customer :

ok. Thanks Chris, I can't think of any other questions... appreciate the help

christhelawyer :

I hope you enjoy our country

Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.