Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.
65718478

I need help triaging whether I have broken or strained my

Customer Question

I need help triaging whether I have broken or strained my left leg/knee/ankle/foot. First, know that I weigh 350 pounds. Last night around midnight, I slipped on a slick floor. My right leg went out from underneath me in a forward direction. All of my weight fell straight down and back on my left leg which was bent/hyper-extended. I don't remember what position my foot was in, whether it was bent (as in a standing position) or flat under my leg/ass. Last night, I couldn't stand. I crawled back over and got in bed. I happen to have a herniated disc issue, so I had some pain meds available. I took those and went to bed.Today, my muscles in my back hurt. I don't think there was any spinal injury or additional injury to what I already have. My knee is sore/swollen, but I can stand on it-which at my weight tells me that time will take care of it (but, again, I'm not a doctor).My primary concern is my foot. I think my ankle is OK. I can rotate it with nearly no pain. My foot, however, is extremely sore. I can stand on the heel with some pain (3/10). When I stand on the foot with even pressure, the right/inside half is a lot more sore (6/10). The left half/outside of the foot is the sorest (7 or 8/10). I'm trying to figure out if I need to have my foot x-rayed. I can walk on it, in fact it hurts less once I am up on it a little bit.Do I give it more time? I have elevated it from time to time throughout the day and I have been off my feet entirely, with the exception of going to the bathroom and letting my dog out. How do I determine how badly I'm hurt?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Oxycodone, Gabapentin, Meloxicsm & Buproprion
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Other than the disc issue, I'm a very healthy obese man. No heart issues. No diabetes issues.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 6 days ago.
Hello and welcome to JA. I have reviewed your question and your injury. With your weight and what happened it sure sounds like you need some X-rays. There's no other way to know how badly you are hurt. Continuing to walk on a fracture at 350 pounds could be very damaging.