DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I have been noticing random muscle twitching in my left and

Customer Question

Hello I have been noticing random muscle twitching in my left and right thighs left and right biceps. I am worried that I am having early symptoms of als. My grandfather and uncle both died from this and I am just really worried that I may have this disease.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 month ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Although ALS can have muscle twitching, this is not a picture of ALS

99.9% of the time, isolated muscle twitching is harmless.

anxiety can aggravate it.

ALS can be ruled out with correct examination and testing.

Go straight to a neurologist and put your mind at rest.

Please click a positive rating on the rating scale [we are paid on the basis of positive ratings] and be sure to let me know if you have finished with any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are my chances of developing als since my grandfather and uncle both had it. I do have high health anxiety. Also my legs do feel slightly weak. Is it possible to develop all these symptoms at once with als

It is not a hereditary disease.

ALS is not inherited.

Your risk is the same as anyone elses.

Those with anxiety often have muscle twitching.

I do not think ALS is a concern.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What symptoms should I look for for als?

Many are only found on exam.

Muscle weakness on testing is prominent.

Tipping and falling

Slurred speech

Difficulty maintaining posture

Other problems.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have also recently finding that swallowing is a little hard. Throat feels tight when swallowing and kind of feeling like I have something in my throat. Anxiety or beginning als?

I would say anxiety.

However, we can not examine you or diagnose you: that is not the purpose of the site. Educationally speaking, you don't have an ALS presentation. But, your next step would be to see a neurologist to put your mind at rest.

Please see my additional services offer.

Otherwise, please do a positive rating: we are paid per rating.

Thanks.